Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Kid's Turning 9 (insert my freak out here!)

Cadence, my silly imaginative child turns 9 this weekend, (and yes this does install panic in me in so many ways, that we don't need to explore here). She has been thinking about this day, and in turn a party for quite some time. Now we don't have parties every year - I think we have settled on every other year, but this year she informed me that she wanted a mad science party.... hmm huh what? "A science party with cool stuff"

Okay.

Now if you know me, or read this blog you would know that I am very good at creative crafty things. The dark secret is that I almost failed biology in High School - I don't do science, and I pretty much don't enjoy math, or technology, or auto shop (Almost failed that one too) for that matter. That is why my husband compliments me so well - I bet he thinks Monet and Manet are the same person. Anywho, my child felt the need to clue me in to what she was expecting for her party - here is the dialog as follows:

C - " First of all my friends will show up in mad science outfits and what not..."

Me - "Wait stop, are you expecting your friends to come dressed up or am I providing lab coats to all your guests?"

C- "um well, okay, maybe not dressed up, but maybe we can get them lab goggles to put on when they arrive."

Me- "can we bedazzle the goggles?"

C- "what? anyways, then we will have a competition with Diet Coke and Mentos outside and see who can get theirs the highest."

Me- "Okay, we can do that but I don't think there will be a good way to judge who's is the highest - we can just have fun with it."

C- "No it will be a competition, you can make like a giant measuring board like on MythBusters.

Then we will shove mentos into the diet coke and seal it off to make a bomb, and throw it off the back balcony to watch it explode."

Me- "It will explode right away, you can't get the lid back on."

C- "Okay, well then we will make other kinds of bombs and throw them off the back deck. We will just explode whatever we want. Then we will make clouds."

Me - "um like a craft with cotton balls?"

C- " no real clouds, that work and stuff....mom how do you make a cloud?"

Me - " uh I don't know if that is a possibility"

C- "Oh it is, and we will do that. Then we will make a volcano erupt, and then shove our faces in a bowl of whip cream."

Me - "excuse me? what does whip cream have to do with Science?"

C- "I dunno it's just cool."


So with that conversation to go on I have a party to plan. What I will do, still not sure and we are 2 days away. Just found out though last night that dry ice bombs are against the law... there goes the bomb off the back deck portion of our day. Sigh. My child is stretching my capabilities with this one, but of course I am up for the challenge. And yes there is a company here in Utah that do Science Parties for you, but no my Husband shamed me out of that for some reason, and I listened to him!

I will be sure to post more later on the results of the party - cross your fingers for me, I am sure some kids will leave totally confused, but oh well.



1 comment:

  1. thats awesome.. you could make homemade rootbeer..isn't that scientific.. I remember doing that as a kid.. with dry ice..instead of bombs.. yeah.. that's all I got..good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete