Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Kid Gets a Filling!

Cadence went to the Dentist today to get a cavity filled. She has not had a cavity filled for at least 2 years and as such doesn't remember at all what happens. So I talked her through it beforehand assured her it was no big deal - we have an awesome dentist, Pete and I love him with unnatural loyalty - (because normally I HATE the dentist). Anywho - she is a brave good kid and she is all ready for the filling. First he numbed her with gel so he could give her a pain free shot - (and I have had many of these shots so I know he is a master). The kid though, starts whimpering, and clenching her fists - I know it is all drama, because I see the dentist fake her out, she winces and he replies with "Now that one didn't really hurt did it?" She admits it didn't and he laughs. So the filling goes fine and quick (which is another reason we like him) - but she is so upset over how numb her mouth is! She is whining and holding her face.

So here is the point...
Secretly I am happy about this discomfort! I am giddy on the inside - I know I am a terrible mother/person - but finally I can say "see! See how important brushing your teeth is!" Finally I can goad over her, tell I told her so, because isn't that my right as a mom? Also the last few times she has had cleanings and they respond with "looks good no cavities" she has turned to me afterwards and said "no cavities mom and I didn't even brush my teeth all week." and I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists, and thought how is this kid going to ever learn? Ah now it kicks in; with pain!

Also on a side note, afterwards she starts telling me how hungry she is (we came straight from school) and then she starts literally holding her tummy and crying (fake) and she moans out, "my mouth is hurting I don't think I can even eat anything solid, I need something soft."
(Gritting my teeth again) I reply with "You are not getting ice cream or anything for that matter as a reward for having to get a filling...especially when you could have prevented the filling in the first place!" Jeepers what are kids thinking sometimes?

No comments:

Post a Comment