Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Me, and my Grand Ideas

I know. It's been awhile. I shouldn't be here, I have ten orders still waiting for me, and another craft fair to prepare for. I should tell you about Thanksgiving and the following weekend. However, instead I will blog about dribble, and how I try to come up with clever parenting ideas (they have to be clever to cover up my lack of them) and how they usually back fire.

So the latest.... we have been trying in vain to teach Cadence about the value of money. As soon as she gets a dollar, she spends it, and sometimes it is on silly weird things like the boneless chicken from Walmart. Also sometimes she makes annoying comments like (if something breaks) "oh just buy a new one". Argh! The other thing we struggle with is getting her to earn her privileges, for a while we had ticket or "mooey money" where she had to earn them by doing chores or being good and then spending them to watch TV or have a friend over.

Sooo my big idea (stolen in part from other ideas I have heard) was to pay Cadence straight out a dollar a day at the beginning of the week. Then she has to pay with an actual dollar for an hour of TV or computer or the wii. Sounds great right? This would limit her to only an hour a day, or she could save them up for the weekend, since we usually don't have time on school days. But this was her allowance (which we have never done before, but she asked) so she can have the experience of spending and seeing her money go, or she can try to save a couple of dollars each week, for a toy or whatever. Except my child, who's money normally burns a hole in her pocket is enjoying saving her money! She is saving like 5 out of the seven each week, which is great, it was what I wanted to teach her, and she has already bought Pete a present for Christmas with her money. But, here is my big butt (he he Peewee) if you have met my child, she is an only child and she talks, a lot. So instead of playing the computer for some awesome quiet time, she follows me around, and wants to play games, do crafts and generally talk about all the kids at her school and all the crazy things she has seen on you tube (her latest obsession). So yea, although I would call this experiment a success, she might be driving me crazy. Thank goodness there are lots of Christmas activities coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment