Friday, August 7, 2009

Girl Scouts Pirate Camp



Doesn't This picture say it all? Well if not, here is a brief overview of Cadence's Girl Scout Camp; I am the Co-Leader to Cadence's troop which has 9 little girls. So being the co-leader, I could not just kiss her on the head and send her off for 3 days of bliss. Oh no, I went with 6 of our girls and headed to Ogden's Fort BuenaVentura for a fun filled Pirate themed camp. This was just the West Valley Service Unit Pirate Camp, so there were about 5 troops there, maybe less (not everyone camped).





We filled the girl's time with tons of arts and crafts. We made our own Pirate flag, we made name tags, leather bracelets, camp letters and a nature totem pole to go outside of the tents to show who was sleeping where.

We put fake pirate tatoos on the girls and they had matching tee shirts. The Service Unit had organized crafts and games for all day Friday. The girls were separated into groups with their own P.A. (program assistant) who was like 15, and they were in charge of the girls and Cadence thought it was the coolest thing ever. With their P.A.s they went on a treasure hunt to find a box that was filled with pirate boat kits, which were really complex, but the kids loved them!






They also got to go canoeing with their groups on this pond that was at the campground. After the canoeing they splashed around in the Weber River. The girl scout lifegaurd would not let the girls go farther then their knees in the water, due to the strong current, but the girls thought it was great to catch minnows and (try) to catch crawdads.






Later that night the groups put on skits that they had rehearsed, and I have to say Cadence did awesome with the amount of lines she had - she played a mosquito. They had a little Pirate Party where everyone dressed up, and sang songs, more crafts, and then Smore's! The best part of course.





Cadence was over the moon happy. At one point when she was putting the boats together she turned to me and said "this is so much fun!". She loved hanging out with friends and staying up all night (all night much to our distress- 2 am potty runs are not fun for adults). She loved hanging out with the P.A. since she was an "older girl".





Overall I was really happy that she got to have this experience and I can see why it is important for me to support the girl scouts, we probably would not be this involved if I wasn't the co-leader. Also I was strolling down memory lane for all the fun times I had in Brownies and camping. Ahh good times, but maybe it is some kind of Karma that I am now a leader, since I know I was a horror when I was a kid, although all our girls are great!












1 comment:

  1. those are great photos and what a great theme...may have to put that to good use in our troop!!! Love the bonding moments!!

    ReplyDelete