Friday, August 28, 2009

Handmade for Cadence

I bought the cute Sandi Henderson (Portabello Pixie) Pattern for the apron dress (featured on the side) and couldn't wait to start working on it. I took Cadence to Pine Needles and let her pick out what fabric she wanted and this is what she chose ; Not exactly what I was pushing for, but the idea is that she will want to wear the dress, because I am sick of making her outfits that I think are cute, only to have her shove them in the back of her closet never to be seen again. I thought this fabric adorable, but a little immature for an 8 year old, but I am not going to hold her to any age standard. It's not like I need her to grow up any more than is necessary!
So of course I had to make a matching hat to go with the dress, and I added a pocket with a little ribbon since Cadence always needs to have pockets. Not sure that she ever uses them, but ever since she was a little squirt she would cry if her dress didn't have a pocket (obviously she does not cry now, but she still looked at the finished product and asked "wheres the pocket?"). I didn't follow the pattern exactly - not brave enough for the shirring yet. I do have to say though, this dress was extremely easy to make.

This is the swing Pete built for her in the front yard, She was thrilled that the dress was long enough that she could play and not need undershorts on to cover her up.

I had to add this photo of miss seriousness. I love it, and no she is not angry with me since I take a bajillion pictures, this is her "serious face" that she has learned thanks to her Aunt Mindy. She cracks me up!



4 comments:

  1. Could a beginning sewer make this dress? It's so dang cute and I know my girls would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try this pattern also!! I am new to sewing & definately do not want to tackle the shirring! Did you still use the elastic thread or do you just use regular elastic sewn in? So adorable!! I want to make one for all 3 of my girls!!! Yours turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, to answer some questions - this is a really easy pattern to follow, any beginner could tackle it and it would still look good. I have made three now from this pattern (different styles all in one pattern - great!) So In these photos my daughter is wearing the peasent dress pattern, what I did though is used the directions for the round apron bodice - which is pretty much the same thing, only it has elastic on the neck and sleeves, so instead of the shirring, I just turned up the hem and put in elastic. - for the waist to get that bunched up look I measured a thin elastic (3/8) to my daughters waist and gave her a little wiggle room so it wouldn't be tight on her then I sewed it in the waist line. I did this by stretching the elastic as I sewed all the way around. So when I was done sewing the elastic went back to the original size, giving the waist a "shirred look" - If I was to sell this dress I would do something a little more professional like inserting a casing around the waist (on the inside) and then doing elastic inside that so no one could see it.
    Hope that answers some questions - if not I can always do a post about it to further explain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for all the info!! That is helpful to know! I have only made one of her purse patterns, which a big step was left out of, so I hesitated to purchase this one! But it is so darn cute! So I think I will try it out now!! Thanks again!! Yours turned out so adorable! I love letting my big girls choose their fabrics as well!!!

    ReplyDelete